Are you looking for my non-technical blog?

This is now my technical-only blog, my non-technical blog is here.

16 February 2012

Pinterested in getting new Glasses

You sure was hit with the hype of nowadays, Pinterest. I got an account there about a week ago, was not able to figure out what's that! Well, I added the "Pin It" to my browser and every now and then, I pin something there and then visit the site out of curiosity to find out how the pin will look like there. See, it doesn't look like a pinteresting website at all. Pun intended. But today I found a use for that website, and may be this is how it's meant to be used.

I want to buy new glasses, so once more out of curiosity I decided to search for men's glasses in the up left corner of Pinterest's homepage, and it's apparent according to the results that geeky plastic frames are hot nowadays ... wait a minute ... so this is gonna be a sort of social searching engine or something!? Why not? A generic search for something like Superman on Google gets you some results from Wikipedia and IMDB, while on Pinterest the results are different for the same search query. How about "Business Card Design" or "Future Technology"? See, there is a use for that thing.

3 comments:

  1. Different algorithms lead to different results. Pinterest is another delicious/diigo/social items curator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right Gohary, as I said, it's a more social search engine for visual stuff compared to Google Images or Bing's search for example. Also it's meant more for visual stuff rather than links as for the case of Delicious and Diigo, I mean the way stuff are displayed emphasise and make it easier to notice visual stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should revisit diigo and delicious, their new style. Specially the stack option in delicious.

    ReplyDelete